Draft regulations to strengthen the ZEV standard in 2025-2035
Two regulations relating to the zero-emission vehicle standard are currently being revised. Published in the Gazette officielle du Québec on June 8, 2022,
a period of 45 days
which ended on
July 22, 2022.
received will be
account in the
version of the
These will be
submitted to the
according to the
1 - Draft regulation to amend the Regulation respecting the application of the Act to increase the number of zero-emission motor vehicles in Québec in order to reduce greenhouse gas and other pollutant emissions
This draft regulation aims to progressively increase the number of credits that must be accumulated by an automobile manufacturer to meet its requirements in order to reach 100% zero-emission motor vehicle sales in 2035. The requirements have been strengthened to achieve the target set by the 2022-2027 Implementation Plan published on April 28, 2022, i.e. 1.6 million electric vehicles on Québec’s roads by 2030. To that end, the draft regulation:
- Amends the calculation used to determine the number of credits that the motor vehicles concerned provide, including a transitional provision for the 2025-2027 model year low-emission vehicles (LEVs);
- Progressively reduces the cap for the use of credits from reconditioned motor vehicles to 0% by 2035;
- Amends, to reflect the amendment to the calculation of credits, the calculation of the charge owed when the credits accumulated by an automobile manufacturer are insufficient to meet its now indexed credit requirements;
- Makes adjustments to the classification of motor vehicles eligible for credits and the classification of automobile manufacturers, as well as the time frame for processing reports and the methods used to calculate certain requirements.
2 - Draft regulation to amend the Regulation respecting the limit on the number of credits that may be used by a motor vehicle manufacturer and the confidentiality of some information
This draft regulation is complementary to the first. Its purpose is to:
- Adjust the credits accumulated up to the 2024 model year and provide for the expiry over time of credits resulting from the authority obtained by the assent on April 12, 2022, of the Act mainly to reinforce the enforcement of environmental and dam safety legislation, to ensure the responsible management of pesticides and to implement certain measures of the 2030 Plan for a Green Economy concerning zero emission vehicles (chapter 8);
- Progressively reduce the cap for the use of credits that an automobile manufacturer accumulated during a prior compliance period for a subsequent period to reach 0% in 2035;
- Amend the point in time when automobile manufacturers must inform the Minister of the number of credits they wish to use so that they can make a decision based on an up-to-date picture of their accumulated credits;
- Make minor adjustments to the information entered on behalf of an automobile manufacturer in the register referred to in section 11 of the Act to increase the number of zero-emission motor vehicles in Québec in order to reduce greenhouse gas and other pollutant emissions (chapter A 33.02) which is not public information.